5 Reasons Why You’re Not A Copycat

Have you ever wanted to do something, but because someone else has done it you don’t do it? – I think we all have.

But should we go with that thought? Should we give up on our idea just because someone else has done it, for fear that we’ll look like a copycat? In a word, no, and for these 5 reasons…

1 – It’s Your Version Of It – Switch on the TV and you’ll find ample amounts of chatshows, all of which consist of a desk and a couch. The only difference between any of those shows is the person asking the questions.  

Everything’s the same, sometimes even the guest line, but each show is a lot different because of the presenter. And sometimes you’ll find that that presenter can get a better interview out of the same guest that others can’t. 

2 – You’re Coming At It From A New Angle – Where you’ve grown up and I’ve grown up are two different places. What I learned at school is different to what you did. What you’re good at and what I’m good at are different. What I like and what you like are different.  And because of all that and more, we’re different. 

And because we’re different, we come at things from a new perspective, a new angle, life experience, knowledge, and more. Heck, even if I gave you the title of this article and the bullet points your work wouldn’t resemble what you’re reading right now. 

3 – You Could Be The Right Person For Some People – Back when I started on my journey writing fiction I doubted anyone would like my books. Why? Because I say myself, as just, me. And who would want to read something by me? But what I found was that people loved what I wrote and wanted more books. – And all because I was right for them. There were other authors in that genre but they liked me.

And you’ll find that with you too. Some people will love the way you explain things, write about things, get excited about things, and have a passion for the thing you do. To some people, you’ll explain it in a way that they’ll finally understand, in a way they’ve never seen before, and with excitement that fires them up once more. 

4 – People Offline Don’t Worry About It – Go through any town and you’ll find more than one bar, one hairdresser, and sometimes more than one church. All people providing the same service to the same people and never giving it any consideration. – Yet, in the creative world, we feel that it’s wrong, That we’re less of a person for doing the same thing as someone else. And that people will point that out to us. 

But most times, people don’t even realize that there are others in our niche or more books on that topic because they’ll never come into contact with them. To them, you’re the only one in town. – Just like those folks that only go to one barber in a town where ten others work in it.  

5 – If You’re Worried About Being A Copycat You’re Not A Copycat – If there’s anything that I’ve noticed it’s that the people that doubt themselves, feel like the world is going to cotton on to them, do the greatest work. Those that have none of those doubts are usually the ones that think they sound like Whitney Houston but sound like someone strangling a cat in an alleyway. 

That fear of being a copycat will repel you from being one as much as water and oil don’t mix. You’ll look for ways to be different, come at things from new angles, and try to do things better than others have. – Even if you don’t do it consciously a part of you will push you away from the path others take. 

“People can copy what you’ve done, but they can’t copy with you want to do” – Denis Crowley.

That quote up there is both a reminder that no matter how much you copy someone you can only copy what they’ve done, but also that if you feel like a copycat now the places you go to will be different to that person. – It might feel like you’re starting off in their footsteps, but it doesn’t mean that you’ll end up at the same destination that will. 

There aren’t many original ideas anymore. Anything new is usually a mix of what came before it. Just like you’ll be the new ingredient in the recipe you’re about to create. You may think you’ll be a sponge cake like everyone else, but to some people, you could be the best sponge cake they’ve ever had. 

Copy the thing, but do it your way.

The post 5 Reasons Why You’re Not A Copycat first appeared on WriteCome.com.

Comments

Popular Posts